Sunday, August 19, 2012

Will the Dike Hold the Niger River Back?

 Due to heavy rains this year the Niger River is level with the dike behind Sahel Academy.  With more rain in the forecast for next week there is a potential for the river to crest the dike and flood onto the Sahel campus.

 This picture was taken at about the same place on the dike several years ago.  It gives you a perspective on how high the river is right now.  I talked to a local who says he has never seen it this high before and he has lived in Niamey since he was a toddler.
 During the night some of the river water seeped onto the Sahel compound.
 Filling sandbags in hopes of slowing the progress of the water and to shore up the dike in some places.
Just in case, I have put the books and other things in my classroom that would be ruined at a higher level.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Kind of a random comment but I notice that your room is looking very homey with those nice new curtains! :)